The Kromski Minstrel is a traditional Castle style wheel. The true definition of a Castle wheel is simply a wheel where the flyer, orifice and mother of all are located in direct position above the drive wheel in a tall, castle-like fashion. In this sense, many modern wheels are essentially a Castle wheel. This beautiful Kromski work of art, however, offers the compact, vertical orientation of today’s modern wheels without sacrificing the Olde World elegance and refinement that we are famous for delivering in our products.
Equipped with an 18” diameter wheel, the Minstrel is indeed capable of delivering a full wheel impact without demanding the full wheel real estate. With the orifice being located directly above the wheel and consequently, the treadles, many spinners find this arrangement to be more comfortable to spin on than one where the orifice is off-set to the treadle.
The Minstrel is a double treadle wheel bursting with detailed, handcrafted wood turnings and can be adjusted to operate in either double drive mode or single drive mode with Scotch tension. The optional distaff easily attaches for spinners requiring assistance with longer staple-length fibers, such as flax or hemp. Add this charming yet multi-functional wheel to your archive today and delight yourself with thoughts of yesteryear every time you spin!
- Threading Hook
- 3 bobbins (120g/4.2oz capacity)
- Spinning Wheel Oil
- Beautiful European Alder and Birch wood
- Wheel Diameter : 45 (18 inches)
- Orifice Circumference : 10mm (3/8 in.)
- Standard Whorl Ratios: 6.5, 8.5, 12 and 16:1
- Additional jumbo whorl with 4.5:1 ratio available
- Durable leather bearing on front maiden
- Sturdy brass bearings at wheel hub
- Hushed plastic bearings in bobbins
- Single Drive with Scotch Tension or Double Drive
- Double Treadle
- Built-In Lazy Kate (2 bobbin capacity)
- Total Wheel weight : 5.5kg (12 lbs)
- Optional Distaff Available
Please note: Wheels will be shipped directly from the manufacturer to the purchaser. This may take a little extra time. Free assembly with local pick-up. Shipped wheels are unassembled.